Friday, May 8, 2020

In the Kitchen: My Grandma's Vegetable Soup

I love soup. Period. All the soup. But this is one of my favorites. 
With the help of my Mom, I was able to nail down the recipe. Thanks, Mom!

Without further ado, here we go. 

The Things You Need: 

(keep in mind, some stuff isn't pictured because I'm a Mom and working at half-brain capacity) 
*Smoked Sausage
*Pat of Butter
*Onion
*Mushrooms
*Diced Tomatoes
*Can of Green Beans
*Can of Corn
*Potatoes
*Chicken Stock
*Frozen Vegetables (my Mom always called it "Mrozonka" which means frozen lol)
*Random Pasta Shapes (I used tiny elbows this time, but anything goes)
*Half n Half
*Sour Cream

It's a weird and motley list of ingredients, but trust me here. Polish Grandmas can't go wrong. 


*Brown the sausage, onions, and veggies (but not the frozen ones) in a bit of butter

*Add potatoes, diced tomatoes, and chicken stock
(Disclaimer: You will notice the lack of amounts in the recipe. This is one of those "grandma didn't measure a dang thing, Mom didn't either, nor will I. I promise not all of my recipes are this disorganized)
*Add your pasta 
Shout out to the Mexican store in my town, for making it feel a little bit like home!

;*Dump in your frozen veggies

*Stir in a big ole tablespoon or so of tomato paste

*Mix a big splash of half n half with some sour cream. Yes, this is one hundred percent necessary

*Add that to your simmering soup
*Stir together and bring to a quick bubble

*Optional* I added fresh dill from my garden, like a good Polish cook would, ha :)

It tastes just like my Gram's. And my Mom's. One day my girls will make this...the thought makes me all misty eyed. Sigh. Time goes by way too fast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Homemaker Monday: July 31, 2023

 Good morning! I hope today finds you ladies well. I have a rare day off today after an absolutely exhausting weekend. We had to clean out t...