Sunday, July 12, 2020

In the Kitchen: Tomato Pie...uh...Tart?

Okay, so full disclosure. This did NOT look like the Tomato Pie that I looked at here even though I followed the directions. 

It's no secret that pie crust and I are not friends and never have been, but I had high hopes. That said, it tasted delicious. So delicious that my tomato hatin' husband ate three helpings. 

Here we go. 

What You Need: 
*Store Bought Pie Crust
*Tomatoes (I had 4 or 5 Romas)
*Basil (I just ripped a bunch of leaves off one of my giant garden plants)
*Chopped Onion (1/3 of a cup? I don't know) 
*Salt
*Pepper
*Mayo
*Shredded Cheese (the recipe called for Grueyere, but I used Fiesta blend, sue me) 





What You Do:

1) Pre-bake your crust, according to the directions on the box, then make sure your oven is at 350

2) Chop up your tomatoes and onion and basil

3) Salt and pepper your tomatoes and put them in a colander, over a container (I threw the onions and basil in there too, cause why not?). Mash them down with a potato masher to draw out the moisture



4) Put your (hopefully drier) tomatoes in the pie crust shell (side note: mine looks terrible. Pie crusts and I are not friends, whatcha gonna do.

5) Combine your half-cup (or cup, or whatever) of mayo and your cheese. Spread that over your tomato mixture

6) Bake at 350 until bubbly and golden brown 
(25-45 minutes) 


So, it doesn't look all that great. But, man. It was delicious. If you're better at pie crust than I am (and let's face it, you probably are), yours will probably look amazing. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Homemaker Monday: July 31, 2023

 Good morning! I hope today finds you ladies well. I have a rare day off today after an absolutely exhausting weekend. We had to clean out t...