Thursday, August 13, 2020

Triple Berry Cobbler: Something I baked that actually turned out!

 


Bear with me, y'all. I love to cook but I hate (HAAAYTE) baking. Mostly because while academically, I can follow a recipe and make something good, the presentation is atrocious. THIS, however. THIS turned out. It looked amazing, and it tasted amazing, so maybe I don't have to throw in the towel when it comes to baking just yet. 

I swiped the recipe from the Food Network magazine and followed it closely, except for the fact that their recipes just called for blueberries, but I also had strawberries and some blackberries that Josie and I had picked on an outing at my job the other day. 

Here. We. Go. 

Triple-Berry Cobbler

For the fruit:
8 cups mixed berries
2/3 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

For the topping: 
2.5 cups all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder 
2.5 heaping tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1/2 teaspoon salt
1.5 sticks plus 2 Tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
3/4 cup milk
1 large egg 
Vanilla ice cream, for serving


1) Preheat oven to 425. For the fruit: Place it in a large bowl and sprinkle in the sugar and the lemon juice. Add the flour and stir to combine. 


2) For the topping: In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Stir it around, then add 1.5 sticks cold butter, and use a pastry blender to combine the butter and the dry ingredients. Full disclosure: I used a potato masher, because I don't own a pastry cutter. 

3) Whisk together the milk and egg, then drizzle it onto the flour/butter mixture, and stir until the dough just comes together (it should be lumpy) 


4) Pour the berries into a 9x13 baking dish and dot them with the 2 Tablespoons butter, then tear off pinches of the dough and dot them all over the top. Sprinkle the top with extra sugar. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for about 25 minutes more. Serve with ice cream. 

(I didn't take a good photo of the finish with ice cream, so I had to screenshot my Instagram stories, lol) 




Isn't it glorious?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Homemaker Monday: July 31, 2023

 Good morning! I hope today finds you ladies well. I have a rare day off today after an absolutely exhausting weekend. We had to clean out t...